Monday, July 1, 2024

Blogophilia 1.16: True Patriots

Blogophilia group on Facebook Over Here

Blog topic parameters & how it works HERE

Hard Bonus: Incorporate a historical event

Easy Bonus: Properly use “then” and “than” in your blog

Raise the Flag!

I’ve often pondered what it means to be a True Patriot. There seems to be a variety of definitions, and here are a few:

  1. one who loves his/her country so much great they are willing to criticize it when it’s wrong.
  2. To vote, volunteer, serve, listen, learn, empathize, circulate power rather than hoard it.
  3.  One who loves and supports his or her country.
  4. A belief in constitutional civil liberties, combined with the right of self-governance of the United States.

There are more, basically a variation of these, in various forms… maybe it’s a good thing that being a woman of my age, I will not be drafted, even if something huge opened up. But if this were the Civil War, I’d be part of the fief & drum corps, I guess. Being part of the morale is just as good than fighting, then I’m patriotic. But then again, I’m more like the Civil Rights Movement & Protests of 1968 with my social causes.

This has been a very busy few days… In the last 2 weeks, I’ve picked up an extra 4 or 5 shifts at work, plus I’ve played in the Kenosha Pops Concert Band for the first time, two concerts and the parade so far, and hopefully more in the future as I’m able. I love the fact that each week has a theme. The very first one was Marches, then Space, then Dance (as in classical type stuff), and it’s really cool.

Of course, I’ve been back with the Racine Concert Band since 2019, and we had our very first concert Sunday, 06/30/2024 (after playing in the Kenosha parade earlier in the day), and I am grateful. I wasn’t able to keep up with the demands of being a new wife & mother plus working and staying in any band, so I’d left there & the Parkside Community Band. When any of the bands play the Armed Forces Medley, and RCB does every year, and we encourage anyone serving as well as veterans to stand when their portion of the piece starts playing. There’s this certain gentleman who tends to come to most concerts, and every time this Army veteran stands up, I get teary eyed. I don’t think I even met him, but, that’s the effect he has. My 1st stepfather was a Marine, and that kind of tugs at me a bit, too. The 1812 Overture was part of our repertoire last night (this isn’t us, but I’m putting it in because it’s a wind band version that we played, like this one, not a symphony).

My friend Barb let me know about a Parkside alumni concert, so I was able to play, and my old conductor from college at Parkside who is now conducting the Racine band, and the new professor at the university both accepted me. I’m sincerely & forever grateful to Laura Rexroth with her never ending encouragement, support, and the way she brings out the beauty of musicianship from each individual as well as the group as a unit. Her style is very graceful, like a ballerina. I’m also wholeheartedly thankful & indebted to Mark Eichner – who I met right after high school, as a young college student… I was meek but not weak, shy but not afraid, etc. I truly believe that having me play in the band regularly (the few times I didn’t sign up, he’d talk me into it) and take various parts really helped draw me out as a person. The skills I used to keep my nerves calm for a major performance is what helped me speak in front of legislators, public settings, and other situations to where I’d have letters from elected officials and other decision makers sitting in my mailbox before I even got home. As a teacher & conductor, he’s more like a figure skater turned speed skater. I can’t possibly be as elegant, yet I’m satisfied with where I am now. The last few years have had setbacks – the pinched nerve in 2020 that almost made my left arm from the shoulder to my fingers useless; late in 2021 diagnosed with autoimmune disorders; early 2024 dislocated my right shoulder, which still isn’t properly in working order yet… But since the pinched nerve, I had 2 major goals – to cook my healthy, tasty, & international meals again, and to play my clarinet again. My immune deficiencies may take me out sooner than I’d like, but for now, I’m at least playing. I still need help with the food aspect, but getting more independent. Music is culture, and definitely doing what I can to keep up.

Mark Eichner & Laura Rexroth
chicken fajitas

My fajitas were pretty good, seasoned but not spicey & very savory (yes, I added soy sauce, so it was fusion food in a sense, and used golden sriracha sauce to give it a warm kick). We will see what the MRI says in a couple of weeks, then follow up with the orthopedic doctor. Physical therapy has been slow on my right shoulder, which is odd, because the nerve was crushed, on the verge of severed… that’s at about 85-90% good on my best days, and I’ll take it. Now if the right shoulder could be the same, I’d be in business…

Happy 4th of July to all of my American friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment