Sunday, July 28, 2024

Blogophilia 5.16: Notice Me

This is Week 5 in Year 16 of Blogophilia! August is almost here. Is it just me, or is this summer flying by? Before long, it’ll be time to break out everything Pumpkin Spice, ha!! Do you like being noticed? Or do you prefer to stay under the radar in life and NOT be noticed? Everyone is different, and that’s what makes the world go round. Let’s hear your take on the subject and share your writes. Join us at Blogophilia, the place for blogging fun and friendship for over sixteen years!

Blogophilia group on Facebook Over Here

Blog topic parameters & how it works HERE

You can do a blog on a site, do a post in the group, or do it as a comment under Marvin Martian’s blog topic parameters. You might not think you can blog, but you can. I have faith in you.

Hard Bonus: Incorporate Lollapalooza

Easy Bonus: Mention accountability

Too ritzy for me…

Growing up, I really didn’t want to be noticed… I never raised my hand, stood back in activities, and hated doing group projects because I had to participate. I just wanted to do my part & that’s it, but usually got stuck putting everyone’s pieces together for the whole. One teacher who was very observant Noticed Me & my work, and wondered if I did the whole project myself. No, just that I did mine & the rest gave me theirs, so I just figured out a way to put it together, but I guess it was my writing style…

It probably seems weird that as a musician, I’m comfortable on stage yet don’t like to be the center of attention. I’m actually glad that other people are in place to take the solos. In college, I’d get picked out as a leader, and I’m not sure why… Here comes the public speaking events, petitions, letter writing campaigns, talks with legislators, heading committees, and yes, the rare but occasional solos… It’s not as bad as what I’m making it sound like, though. It’s cool to be heard, in more ways than one. I used to get letters back from D.C. before I got home… So, say I talked to them Friday, and made the trip home after that, the letter is already in my mailbox or desk when I’d get home on Saturday.

Considering how many groups made it to the mainstream by attending Lollapalooza, but I’m not sure I’d be able to do that in the first place, much less be able to keep it up. Plus, what am I going to do? Recruit a bunch of reed players to cover baselines, harmonies, & play lead clarinet reggae or something? I’d still need bongo players & other percussionists to fill in the drumbeats… I don’t think I’m up for that kind of accountability at this stage in my life. It’s just that what’s nuts, is this idea would be more embraced now than had I suggested this 30 years ago. At least I’m playing in a few groups now, and get paid a little bit. Stay tuned…

Kenosha Pops Concert Band

  • Final summer show at the Pennoyer Park Bandshell on Wednesday, July 31, 2024 at 7pm.
  • Christmas & other concerts at other sites will happen during the off season, including with area high schools.
  • All summer concerts are on Wednesdays at 7 at Pennoyer Park & free.

Racine Concert Band

  • Concert tonight, at 7:30pm at the Racine Zoo!
  • Sunday, August 4 at 7pm
  • Final summer show August 11 at 7pm
  • All summer concerts are at the Racine Zoo, free. Please enter on Main St. at Walton Ave. entrance or on the north end of the building.
  • There will be 4 off season concerts featuring our high school bands – Park, Waldon, Horlick & Case.

Parkside Wind Ensemble & Community Band

  • 4 concerts throughout the year – October, December, March & May
  • One of the best community based groups.
  • All concerts are at the Rita Tallent Picken Regional Center for Arts & Humanities
  • Cost based on status – student, senior, general

Stay safe, healthy & happy! I’m scheduled for surgery on fully torn tendons in the rotator cuff at the end of August. I’m hoping that being able to play in the October concerts will be possible. At least my job is light enough that I don’t have to take time off. I’ve traded some hours so that I will have about 2 weeks – without losing any hours. Just remember, the arts = culture. Support your local painter, music, theater, crafter, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment