Monday, May 28, 2012

Rememberance, it's NOT just for Veterans.

It's Memorial Day, in more ways than one! Every year, my grandparents had a tradition for Memorial Day. We'd go out to the family plot, clean off the graves, and have a prayer, a lunch, go back to their house, have a cook out or picnic in the back yard, sing songs, etc... Eventually, as they got older, their role got more passive, and then of course not being able to do it. My grandfather passed early last December, just a few days after Thanksgiving. He'd always wanted to live to be a hundred. At the Thanksgiving family meal, when he was asked if he knew what day it was, Grandpa fondly looked around at family and he happily answered, "Why, it's my birthday"! When someone was going to try to correct him, I'd just shushed them and let them know he should be allowed to think this... His heart was failing, and was barely walking. I'm glad, as that was the last celebration we had him for, was Thanksgiving 2011. His favorite song was Home on the Range, and favorite composer was Mozart.
Mozart Clarinet Concerto
My grandpa was a hard worker, who grew up on the family farm. He learned to milk the cows at age 5, and after finishing 8th grade, came to Racine, went to a community college, became a banker, and married my grandmother. There are too many stories to mention, but I can just say that every family dinner, he'd take the grandkids out for a walk so the moms could regather and reclaim the kitchen to clean up. His favorite sayings were "Oh, goody goody!", "Always be positive" and "Just keep smiling, and everything will be okay". There were more, and we had our special games... After supper, then the news, he'd doze off in his easy chair. My sister and I would bring out every pair of shoes and slippers and dump them in his lap. He'd have to match them without opening his eyes. He humored us every time. Happy memories like these are what I like to remember for memorial day. Home On the Range

My great uncle Wally, who is a brother to my grandmother (the one who was married to this same grandpa), had passed away long ago. He was a WWII veteran, and was the most gentle person you could possibly meet. I think everyone who met him loved him almost immediately. I have fond memories as a girl, who went out to Eagle Lake, and had such fun swimming, and of course there were lots of cookouts, and he always remembered that my favorite drink was coke. Even when Pepsi was bought, he'd remember to have at least a coke or two reserved for me. He had a golf cart that he'd let one kid ride on with him. The rest of us would chase the cart, and try to jump on, and whom ever did, would get to push the passenger off and be the rider. It was our twisted form of tag. And c'mon, he'd only drive as fast as children can run, so there was never any danger. I don't know if I'd ever thanked him for his service... Stars and Stripes Forever

Back in 1999, I was 33.5 weeks pregnant, and excited to be a mom, but nervous because I had severe health problems. I was eager to have this baby, my first time pregnant. But I was toxic. I had severe preeclampsia, a condition that gives you severe edema and ridiculously high blood pressure. On top of that, I was spilling proteins into my urine. My first baby was stillborn early February. My precious son would never see his mama with his own two eyes. I'd never hear him cry, laugh or call me mama. No first day of school, much less graduation. No wedding or grandchildren to dote over... He'd be 13 now if he were alive. He's buried in the family plot, and we will be remembering him also.



While it seems severe that here we have all these losses, and to be thankful for veterans who fought for our freedoms, I'd like to also be thankful for those we still have today: My 12 year old son, Chad, who is my pride and joy. Those military personnel who are currently serving. The veterans who are disabled, retired and working in the civilian world... Children's March


While it seems severe that here we have all these losses, and to be thankful for veterans who fought for our freedoms, I'd like to also be thankful for those we still have today: My 12 year old son, Chad, who is my pride and joy. Those military personnel who are currently serving. The veterans who are disabled, retired and working in the civilian world...

But not least, I'd like us to remember those who are abused, for they cannot celebrate right now. All too often, while we are out being thankful about those we have, many domestic violence victims are afraid of what their abusers may do today, because alcohol often makes the violence rise. And even with those who are abused, don't they deserve to be remembered also? After you are done celebrating, if you have left over food, or other things, it would be nice to share it with your local shelter. Just a little bit of extra can heal a heart a long way, since it's caring hearts that can help those in difficult situations to recover into the next level. Or, maybe if you know of a situation, invite them over, as it may be a good way to relieve the stress for a few hours, and try not to serve alcohol to the abuser. Let everyone have fun. What Is Love?

 I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable memorial day! After cleaning off the family plots, my husband and I randomly pick two other plots to clean off, usually those that are heavily grown over, because even those who don't have loved ones left deserve to be remembered. Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment