Sunday, January 7, 2018

How I deal w/ daily turmoil


Life often gives us rotten lemons. May we learn to use them as compost. It isn't easy to stay positive or focused when we are dealing with unemployment, underemployment, underpayment, just starting new jobs/careers or needing to switch gears to find our forever jobs or the life we want, which always costs money. It doesn't have to cost a lot. But things aren't free, and no one else is going to give us an open-ended check to complete our bucket lists.

For as long as I've been searching, right now I am not even going to worry about that "dream job". I am going for one that I will like, that has what I consider fair compensation, and figure that with the right combination of the work environment and professional growth potential, I will fall in love with that position, after I land it. It could happen. I've seen it happen with others, that they ended up in a different place than what they originally expected for themselves, and just went with it, so that is my plan.

Fact is, I know that I can do the jobs I apply for. I never apply for a position that I don't think I can handle, nor something that I will dislike. Even if it is in a different industry than what I've received my experience and education in, if I apply, it's because I'm interested. This is why I am always questioning the suggestions of going through a temporary agency, because they see my healthcare background, and want to push that direction, without giving me the chance to explore other avenues. The problem with this is that I've never been interested in pursuing a professional career in healthcare. Often, the types of positions I'm qualified for either are dead-end type positions that have little growth opportunities with pay that is too low to pay the bills or, pay less than the equivalent positions in other industries.

So many things can drag us down. Some of us don't have the support we need from people. Others may not be in an economic spot and could use the financial support. Even more may feel lost or out of the loop. Stress isn't something we can always deal with, easily. But, here are some things that have helped me.

On Facebook, I have been doing a daily log of my continued journey in my recent years of my goals, hopes, and inspiration, whether I'm giving or getting the inspiration. This has been helpful in assessing what I may need to work on for myself, because on days that I may be feeling the stress more, I see that I could use a pep talk, somehow. That might come in form of taking a walk, meditating somewhere near Lake Michigan, or actually digging in to be more positive. I try to add value for others who are struggling in any way, shape or form with every post, no matter how down I am feeling myself.

Another time, I'd posted a random survey asking my friends to post something they like or notice about me. Of course, the usual came up such as my advocacy, positivity, etc. My college friend Boyd, who is a Kenosha County Board member, commented that I am "often underestimated yet never quit". I had to pause. Really think about this one. He is right. I can't recall how often I have been and often VERY underestimated in my knowledge and skills. I am smarter than I present and more capable than that. I am not looking for a handout, just an opportunity. This observation gave me some substance to chew on, and I am grateful. It has helped me focus on how to improve my own image, in hopes that an opportunity will land in my direction.

To help reduce stress though, first, breathe. Take a big breath. Take another one. Do it again. Take 4 seconds to breathe in deep. 4 seconds to exhale. Keep doing this until you feel your pulse slow down. I promise you, your blood pressure is going down with it. Every time you feel it rising, remember to breathe. In this calmer state, you will find focus. Drive. Solutions, or the ability to form solutions. I found my unique sense of humor. There are a lot of good qualities about yourself that live in that calmer state, and I want you to find them. This is how I am learning to find mine.

I also want to share a tidbit that a newer contact, Fay, who is skilled in instructional media design and learning development, shared this article, and I did find some inspiration in there, today. Here it is: Could this be Why you Aren't Finding a Job?

There IS someone that I want to give an extra special thank you to, also. I met my friend, Kevin through the networking sessions I attend at the local Workforce Development Center. He is an architect, who is very smart and is one of the most genuine people you could ever meet. Kevin has this really low gear, a steady personality who gives solid advice, and his words of wisdom always brought a bit of warmth to the whole group. In talking one on one, I honestly appreciated the encouragement I'd received, since I don't remember the last time I'd gotten any, especially from someone I'd only known a short time. He found what sounds like a decent gig, and I am happy for him that it sounds like a good fit, although I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that he will be seriously missed. Kevin is definitely someone who can be learned from, by a lot of people. His new gig is lucky to have him on their team.

Life goes on, strangely. Just remember, lurking is, well, just lurking. To comment, divine! Please add your thoughts, ideas, questions, or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment