Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homeless Awareness in a Point In Time

Last night, or should I say extremely early this morning, from about 12:30am-4:30am, I took part in a twice a year event called "Point in Time". It was an over night event, that had started about 9pm Wednesday night and ended at around 6am Thursday morning. There were different groups, hosted by Homeless Assistance Leadership Organization Inc. in conjunction with A Vet's Place.

There were a few vans, with staff from HALO driving, and A Vet's Place was nice enough to let us meet there to start off. We went out in teams of 3-5, looking all over the place to see if we could find anyone in need of shelter, and we checked out parks, abandoned buildings, foreclosed homes, and more...


While we didn't find any homeless people, there were signs of where some of these people hung out, and we did rescue a dog, sort of... in one of the abandoned and boarded up building/store, behind us was a home that had been boarded up, and the back door was kicked in, and the upstairs most definitely had a dog up there. Police were called, and they had called the Humane Society, and needed to contact the property owner, before going in. I can only surmise why that needed to happen, but, I'm hoping that it all worked out for the good.


The next Point in Time check will happen in July, and I'm hoping we'll be able to help someone out. I'm glad that people had shelter to hide out in. I'm hoping that was a good sign. Hopefully, more people will volunteer, and HALO always has needs for extra hands to help out with stuff. Just remember, as a non-profit, many of the staff work much more than what they're paid for, and when in need, it's tough going. Every little bit helps.


It made me appreciative, that even if I don't have much, I have a permanent place to live, with food on the table and clothes on my back. No, it's not the Ritz, nor do I get surf & turf, nor do I wear name brands, but, it's all good, and that's fine with me. Won't you consider volunteering or donating what you can to good causes? It lifts the spirits to do so. I'm glad that I have made it a point to help out.



No comments:

Post a Comment