Sunday, July 20, 2014

Busy Busy, Work, Errands, Band Shows, More Work, and more!!!

*Whew*  Busy weekend so far...  and while it's been great, I'm pooped out by the moment.  This summer of 2014 represents the 35th year that the Lighthouse Brigade Marching Band has been in existence.  I spent 5 summers, from 1983-1987 marching with the band.  It was the utmost best 5 summers I've spent, in my whole life, where a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went pouring into doing parades and field drills to perform across the state of Wisconsin, as well as in some other parts of the country.  One year we went to Cheyenne, Wyoming for the Western Days competition.  The other 4 we went to Traverse City, Michigan.  In later years, there would be Orlando, Florida as well as other neat places across the country.

Anyway, it's kind of a neat thing, because even with all of these other kids coming through the Brigade, those we will never personally know, probably never meet, though if we do, it doesn't matter if we were in the same time or different times.  There is an automatic bond, that you can only know, after being in a group such as this.  Sure, there are the popular cliques, just as usual for the high school age kids, but, there is always that greater bond of the whole, that each person has their role in the success of the group.  35 years, that started as a foresight.  And I was able to be a part of that for 5 short years.  I would never trade it for anything else.  So, I had to take up the opportunity for a reunion.

Friday morning, I worked my usual shift, from about 8-11ish, as I usually do on Friday mornings.  Went home, picked up my Chad, got my check, went to the bank, ate lunch together, went to Schmitt Music to buy the field show tickets, went grocery shopping, got the food put away, and then went back to work from 2:30-4:30pm.  Came home, ate a light supper, and went to the Lighthouse Brigade home show.  Stayed for part of the judging, came home, picked up my hubby, and we went to Denny's to pick up a bite, brought my son home to shower and such, went to Walgreens to pick up prescriptions, and finally got to bed at around 1am...  Then had to work for my other lady who I've been working for, since about 8.5 years ago, because I'm there every Saturday morning...

After that, of course, I frosted the cake my husband made the day before, and took some to my son's "Grandpa Honey".  It was his birthday last Thursday, and my son's other Grandpa was Friday...  My hubby made brownies for the picnic while we were out...  So, after visiting Grandpa Honey for a half an hour, we came home, grabbed pictures to bring, and went to the potluck picnic at the founder of the Lighthouse Brigade, Doug and Dianne Johnson's for a very cozy and nice picnic.  My son and I stopped at church, and we brought my Aunt home after the service. Then had my mom, stepdad, and sister come over for some cake, so both grandpas got their birthday cake today.

Hopefully, tomorrow won't be as hectic, though I think I'm going to be at least somewhat busy...  My son is going with his Grandparents and my sister to Minnesota to visit other family, so I have laundry and packing to do with my boy...  And that's after going to another service tomorrow morning.  (Well, I was going to finish this blog last night, and post it, but, I was so tired, I had to go sleep...  So, right now, it IS tomorrow, but it's today, Sunday...)

Anyway, it was totally fun seeing the different bands do their field drills.  It brought back the memories of the fun I had, hoping my son will join next summer.  Bands from all over Wisconsin, and even one from Canada.  It's been a while since I've been there, but, I surely do miss marching...  It was the best 5 summers I've ever spent!  Then it was great to spend time with the original directors at the family potluck picnic in their back yard.  They are very cool, and gracious enough to host the nutty group of us!  And we also had an interesting conversation, of how even if the kids were troubled, or uncontrollable, or a bit on the naughty or mischievous side, All of us who made it through the Lighthouse Brigade, has made it thus far without being in any legal issues or anything...  I think it says a lot, when we can say that 100% of the Brigade alumni are good citizens, where ever we are.  Remember, at the end of this season, there will be 35 years worth of us alumni...

We had a couple of baptisms at church, and then, after lunch, headed up to Milwaukee for some grocery shopping at the Asian Market.  Came home, helped pack my son's suit case, and soon, off to pizza at my mom's...  Been busy busy again, but, hey, I had a lot of fun! 


p.s.  I still haven't figured out how to upload pictures from my cell phone, so...  please hold, to get the pictures.

And hey, you!  Yes, Brigade people!  Please feel free to put in your input, and share your stories of the good, the bad, and the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment