Thursday, January 28, 2016

Point In Time 1/27 - 1/28/2016

Twice a year, the Continuum of Care, with various affiliates gather volunteers and sends teams out to look for those out in the elements and offer shelter, information, a snack, or just letting them know that people are here who care about their well being. It happens the 4th Wednesdays of January and July. A team leader, often who is also the driver, will have 3 or 4 people to help look for those out in the cold. It’s just because there are some situations that may be dangerous for the volunteers, and there is safety in numbers.
Driver/Team info and a couple of supplies.
I always luck out and always get a good group to be with, and this time I had John, Jimmy, Marie, and Curt. We were a fairly diverse group, in age and what we do currently. Curt is tall, so I told him to get in front.
As we waited for instructions and why we are here for searching, we got a presentation and some other FYI’s, and I had a choice between 2 hats... As if there really is a choice?
I don't do skull caps!
I am glad I am prepared, I had another one that worked much better, because, you know. Even if it’s not baseball, baseball rocks as our favorite pastime, right?
There's no crying in Point In Time rescue searching!
Anyway, we found 2 maybes... And, an oops... It was almost awkward, but, of course it’s actually difficult to embarrass me. We were near the zoo, and there was a car in the lot. We approached, and a guy was in it... I pulled next to the car, and one of the guys approached... All of a sudden, a lady is in the passenger window, surprised... No homeless here! Oops! A young set of lovers, so I apologized for interrupting anything... At least the young man was cool about it...
It’s not easy being out for this long of a period so late... 10pm registration, and search your area (each driver gets assigned a zone), and look in every spot possible (they have a checklist), and come back at 3am... But, I would rather we go out and not find anyone to bring to shelter, than not go, and someone died in the elements. Hope to see more people next year. It’s actually rewarding to be a part of this.
Mmm! Goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment