Friday, June 7, 2019

Advocacy & More

As the founder of Youth Voice Initiative, I get called upon often to do advocacy work, whether it's for a single parent who needs a letter written to the courts, or to speak up for a special needs child, or to help see what kinds of programs are available for various things whether it's a support group or just information in general.  It is truly rewarding to know that I can help make a difference for some people, including the lives of children.

Because of the experiences I've had, I'm also a volunteer advocate for Sexual Assault Services, and take the crisis phone to offer peer support as well as to make hospital visits for recent survivors.  It's not always easy work, but very worthwhile, because sometimes as the advocate, I might be the only one they see as being on their side.  One thing I enjoy doing, when there are small children present, whether the survivor is a child or the adult survivor brings their children in, is that I like to read age-appropriate books with them.  Reading often reduces stress and allows people to feel more normal.

In my own free time, I enjoy reading as well, and my favorite genre is Science Fiction, just because it's filled with action, technology, culture, and more.  It fascinates me.  The current story I'm reading is still a work in progress by a friend of mine, Soldwolf, called Meeting the Parents, which is a military sci-fi set in the future, where Earth is unified and has allies culturally and militarily with other humanoid type species intergalactically.  Please check previous blogs for more information, if you'd like.

Parties, Friends & Guests (Ch 33) We all like to eat. Sometimes it's nice to not have to cook, and it's even better when you have your special place with that special someone. The earth hero, Scott, even found a favorite spot on his lovely's planet that he even wants to show off to his family! But the question is, though, are the potential in-laws going to get along with each other? Or will it be a disaster? The dynamics can get interesting, so just read & find out for yourself. I just have to wonder though, where are MY Kyoto hair sticks?

Gathering Friends (Ch 34) It's fun to meet new people, especially when they're going to be important connections. While exciting and comforting, it can get overwhelming. I'm feeling the hero, who is anxious about remembering names, but fortunately, his lovely & her family are there for support. Even with his military friends, it's all about balancing work & life. I'm just wondering though, will they get to introduce Cajun cooking to these nice Tamalnii people? If this chapter doesn't tug at your heartstrings, I don't know what will.

Friends Reunited (Ch35) It's refreshing to find that even big tough guys can have a gentle soul, and how often, they could use a personal hero, too. heartwarming stuff, and when reuniting with friends, who are also formally connected, what better than hosting an official dance? And then of course, what is a dance w/o doing more party planning? So much fun stuff going for sure!

A Circle of Friends (Ch36) Everyone needs a good one of these, and I tell you, the hero and his lovely are lucky to have who they have. I'm really digging the new characters introduced, and how they get back to business on both work and personal fronts! Oh, and some huge things are brewing, so you don't want to miss out on the action!

Now, please be a dear, and click the highlighted areas, they're hyperlinks to where you need to go to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment