Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend... An Extra Special Occasion!

Hi all! I know I've already done a mother's day tribute.


But anyway, we ended up celebrating Mother's Day over at my mom's, where my grandparents are there also. They're 98, going on 99, and they're very sweet. I don't think I could ask for better grandparents, and being they can't go anywhere, we went there. My grandma is so cute. While she still has her wits about her, since she can't physically do much for her self, her semi-helpless state makes her cute.



This year would also celebrate their 74th wedding anniversary, if they make it to September. I'm not so sure, though, but regardless, they've lived a good long life. We also sent a nice card to Euro's mom, with all the updates to let her know that even if we can't be with her, we're still celebrating her in spirit.



Anyway, we went over there to my mom's on Saturday to celebrate with them, since my grandparents don't like large groups of people, and it's more enjoyable anyway, talking to her when she doesn't need to keep asking me "What?" because she can't hear past the background noise. It was nice, I'd brought Jello, because my grandparents like it, and a green bean casserole to go with my mom's home made Sloppy Joe's, and she'd found a good potato salad recipe online.



On Sunday, my son and I spent about an hour or so over at Our Savior's Church to serve the meal for the soup kitchen they run every Sunday. Our church helps serve every so often, and there are a group of churches that help take turns.



Funny thing, is that the menu for that evening was Sloppy Joes, coleslaw, potato chips, two types of pickles, baby carrots, a small casserole, and a bunch of cookies that were left over from my church, some donated by O & H bakery. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough, and there was JUST enough to feed everyone to a comfortable full, and to send home some left overs for whom needed to bring some with them.



I got put in charge of serving the slaw, and my son served next to me dishing out the pickles. After the meal, while I was helping to dole out the left overs, my son rinsed off the food serving trays. He worked hard, and well, I think he practically took a shower at the sink, as well as got the floor washed with the sprayer. But hey, it's just water, and it's fun for a kid.



It always amazes me when I go to these places to serve it up for these people who may or may not be homeless, some are transient though they work, others have a permanent place but don't have food security, and a few are there for the company and fellowship because they have no one else. Yet they come in, and are so thankful that we are here to help them out.



I remember one time, before there was HALO, there was REST, and we'd take turns serving supper during the summer. Once we had a cook out, and all I'd brought was a cake. They were so thankful that they'd acted as if I'd brought them steak, for a cake mix I'd bought on sale... I actually thought that maybe I was lucky to have served them, and not the other way around.



Regardless, it was cool to be of community service with my 11 year old, who is learning that even if we don't have a whole lot, that there are those less fortunate, and in some ways we are rich, because we have each other.



Your Recipes:


Barbecued Hamburgers (Sloppy Joes)


3# hamburger meat, the leaner the better. (For a vegetarian or vegan twist, you may use smashed hard boiled eggs or firm tofu crumbled up, just use oil for these options), A large minced onion. A large minced green pepper. About 3 stalks of celery, minced. Brown meat or meat substitute well, drain extra grease, add onion, brown a bit, add bell pepper & celery, and brown meat very well.


For the sauce:


2 cups ketchup. 2 TBS dry mustard. 6 TBS vinegar. 1/2 cup sugar. 1/2 cup water. 1 tsp salt. 1/4 tsp paprika. 1/2 TBS black pepper.


Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add to the meat mix, and let stew for flavors to blend.



Potato Salad:


6-8 red potatoes, cube to large bite size. 3 eggs. Boil potatoes 30 minutes, until barely done. Hard cook eggs, crumble into the potatoes.


2 celery stalks, 3 bunches of green onions, 1 green pepper, & 6 radishes diced small.


Add diced veggies and mix with salad dressing until just wet. Let sit overnight, and the flavors are well blended. You won't need to add any more seasoning.





Serve with a salad or vegetable of your choice to keep it healthy.



No comments:

Post a Comment