Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Random Acts of Remembrance

For the last 12 years, I've gone to the family grave plot to help clean up as well as decorate family members' and relatives' graves. It seems as if we're doing a well enough job that we only need to clean up about every other year, and even at that, it's more maintenance than anything. This year, we didn't have to do anything except leave our presence there.

Last year, Metalfan and I started a new tradition. In addition to cleaning up my family section, for various reasons, we decided to clean up at least one other spot while there. You see, I have my great grandparents, as well as a baby cousin and my own at my family's plot. About two groupings over, my former mother in law. While I'm not obligated to keep hers up, she is still my son's grandma, so I do it anyway...

Last year, we found a guy and his wife about half way between, that seemed to have gotten forgotten about. We dug around the marker to remove the dead and overgrown grass around it, got some water, washed up the dirt...

This year, we found two military persons whose markers looked forgotten. One, we got his wife's, also, and left a small flag for her, since this was for a Military Medical Captain. The cemetery usually at least puts flags up around the markers, but, unless someone takes the time out to actually clean it up, little is done about it, because they don't have the resources to keep up with everything.

I just think it's wrong, that no one comes out for some of these people anymore... I'm not blaming the cemetery. They have other jobs to do. But, it's just odd that here are some heroes from wars past, and I don't know if they have no family, or if they moved away, or what's going on...

So, we've heard of random acts of kindness. This was Memorial Day. So, we figured we would perform a random act of remembrance, because they cared enough for us, to give so much to the greater good of the country. The least we can do is spend an extra few minutes to keep their marker clean another few years... They thought we were worthy of defending. In my mind, they are worthy of remembering.

Until next time, peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment