Saturday, September 14, 2013

Misty Memories: Blogophila 29.6

Bonus Points:
(Hard, 2 pts): include a quote by Carl Sandburg
(Easy, 1 pt):  include a red sunrise   

https://www.facebook.com/notes/marvin-martian/blogophilia-week-296-misty-memories/617289844958903

I have misty memories of times of yore, when I was 11 and 12, finishing up elementary school...  When 6th grade was still there, rather than bumping up to middle school.  I think Irene will relate with these misty memories, of playing softball with the school team...  How I loved it, and wanted to play for a living, but, understood the harsh reality that there is no room for Girls' Baseball in this country...

But I digress...  I remember all of those after school practices, and the anticipation of playing...  The first real taste of a performance in the making, later I'd use for my musical events.  I loved the game, and I was the catcher.  What a great spot to be in.  Behind the plate, where there is always action.  The balls will be pitched.  The batters will miss more often than hitting.  When a run is made, I will still get action eventually, when a runner is prevented from making that way to home base...  It was great.  Until I broke my fingers at a weekend camp, when I got pushed into the lake off of a pier, baiting the other girls' fishing poles, and my hand came down on the pier...  I was actually crazy enough to hand my sister a popsicle, told her to eat it, and with the sticks, I wrapped in gauze, I set my fingers with tape.  I went back to camp, but, coming back to the game, I got stuck as the relief right fielder...  

But, in the words of Carl Sandburg, "To be a good loser, you need to learn to win".  AT least I was still in the game.  And I did get to assist in making a couple of outs.  So I lost being the catcher, but learned that playing the game was still winning.  Much later, I helped coach my son's team, and he turned out to be a pretty good catcher, I must say, he learned how to give the pitcher something to aim at, and when the pitcher took to it, most assuredly, the batter of the other team would strike out.  And I'm also very sure that Stormy Gail's Cat, Clarice, knows what I'm talking about when I say that "I am an idealist.  I may not know where I'm going, but I'm on my way".  

On my way, one day, on an early morning to drive up to the capitol for a hearing on a bill that I was interested in, I saw a red sunrise that I was wishing that Barbara K. could take a picture of.  It was fiercely red, though a more majestic site.   

Then, as I was thinking about how red it is, I was thinking about that old movie called Total Recall, and how I see my favorite Martian sitting there on the Red Planet.





I often wondered if Marvin would have helped the human freaks, or, be mad at humans in general, but, seeing that he likes to blog, he has to be a good guy...  But, just to make sure, I ask Dave Raider about if our Martian would have our backs in a situation such as Red Dawn.  Of course.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment