Sunday, April 14, 2024

Blogophilia 42.15: Jack of All Trades

Blogophilia group on Facebook HERE

Blog topic parameters Right Here

Hard Bonus: Incorporate power, corruption and lies in your blog
Easy Bonus: 
Include a lyric or song title by Gloria Gaynor

Big Fish, Little Fish

Life… it would be nice if we could keep the rose colored sun glasses on, but the reality is, it’s all about the gray scale… I remember learning about the American government system, and being that I came from a different country, it seemed so interesting and all inclusive… Very romanticized and while on paper, it’s all good, but it’s not… At least we have our 1st Amendment rights to free speech, assembly & petitioning our government, which I partake in regularly. I got pretty good at that in college, especially, and was encouraged by my Jr. High & High School teachers. Both Speech/Public Speaking teachers went out of their way to let me know that I had a positive presence, even though I didn’t like that kind of captive audience back then, it made me nervous. My American Government teacher mentioned that I’d be good at conferences & such. *shrug* I grew into it, eventually.

As life went on, I remember when the slogan “think outside the box” was popular, I thought these people were nuts, because I was never INside the box to begin with, yet never got any leverage… I was being advised to “diversify your portfolio” – another confusion, I technically didn’t have one, but eventually figured it doesn’t have to be a literal one, just learn a variety of skills to be a Jack of All Trades. I didn’t have much opportunity to do a lot, but, yes, it’s possible… even if the odds are stacked against you, and obstacles get put in your way…

Whether it’s in our government, big business, certain aspects of society in general, there’s always a certain (and obvious) level of power, corruption & lies – the American dream isn’t achievable for everyone. There will always be poor people, and many of us just have to be content with being able to coast. After seeing how Obama was raked over his Hawaiian birth certificate, I’ll probably never have a chance (even if I all of a sudden got money) to be able to have a real chance at being the President of the USA, even though I’m a natural born citizen (just born abroad). But, I’m not sure I’d want that job, anyway…

So, as a multicultural person, I got my BA in International Relations, that never took off, so my chances of eventually being a Diplomat is probably not going to happen either, but that’s ok. Because I’d refused to give up music, I still have that skill, and still play in 2 groups, with the potential to get side gigs on occasion. I also learned how to sew, after my husband got me a sewing machine, where I can do hems (pants, curtains, etc), make blankets, table runners, drumming bags, diaper bags, etc. It’s small cash, but hey, it’s a diversification.

In the words of Gloria Gaynor in (If You Want it) Do It Yourself in her “Experience” album in 1974, I think her words of wisdom that she learned from her dad ring loud & clear for me:

Waitin’ around for someone who can help you
Oh, someone who can help you find your way
Then if you think there’s no one you can turn to
Well, there’s someone just a lookin’ glass away

Hang in there, everyone! I’m rooting for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment