Thursday, August 22, 2013

Prepare to be Boarded: Blogophilia 25.6

Blogophilia Week 25.6 - Prepare to Be Boarded...
Bonus Points:
(Hard, 2 pts):   Use a lyric from any Temptations song
(Easy, 1 pt):   Mention a weather condition


https://www.facebook.com/notes/marvin-martian/week-256-prepare-to-be-boarded/596107927077095







I remember when I was a kid.  Maybe older than 8, younger than a teen, so about a tween...  My great grandmother, in her 80's along with my great grandfather, both Hungarian, lived up on this farm up in Stanley, WI.  The same grandma that had the 3rd grade education, and the grandpa that came from Hungary, and was not versed in English.  Anyway, they had this big farm house, and always had dogs.  But, in their older ages, was not very good at keeping house, as their bedroom was on the main floor, the rest were upstairs, and I remember sneezing and coughing all night, due to the dust.

So one time, my sister and I slept out in the car.  And I actually saw 3 red blinking dots, in a perfect triangle.  I tried to rouse my sister, to let her know that there was some weird set of lights, and they quickly came down from the sky, and hovered.  It was way too quiet for a chopper, and plus, they'd have more lights.  I thought I was imagining it, but the skies were clear, with stars shining brightly!  And all of a sudden, I heard Marvin Martian demanding "Prepare to be boarded"!  I explained that this is just a car, that it's not a ship.  It only rides on the ground with gas.

A huge tiredness waved over me, and I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or if it were for real...  I went into a deep sleep.  The next thing I knew, I was seeing crazy things...  Here I was, at a track to see the horse races, but, here it comes, a strange little sighting!





What is this, anyway?  The sheep races?  And what's with the stuffed animal sheep jockeys anyway?  Is it a herders' stampede?  Ah, but then, it all makes sense.  It's Irene, the sheep herder trying to make it back to the barn before the calm of the storm.  It was soon to be dark and violent thunder.

My mind meanders away from there, and I am walking near the creek at the back of my great grandmother's farm, where the wheat or some other grain used to grow, probably to help feed the cows she once had...  it wasn't a big creek, but, it was good for minnows, or something.  With a subtle wind, it sounds as if the rippling creek was talking to the trees rustling.  I turned my head, thinking I was being hailed...  but it almost sounded if someone was singing "and ole man river, he just keeps rolling around"

I awake, in the front seat of the car.  My sister is starting to wake up.  It's a bright sunny morning and the ground is dry.  I so wished that Jessica could see what a great day it was.  I sit up and stretch, wondering how much of the night's events were real vs. dreaming...  On the way to the outhouse, telling her what I dreamed.  A faint but familiar sound of rippling waves and rustling tree leaves...  I almost heard it, "show me that stream called the Jordan River"...  My sister is sure I dreamed everything...  Christopher would probably sing to me.  But I'm sure I really saw the UFO... 

Until next time, I'm probably going to have this song stuck in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYO7Avah1k8


p.s.  For those of you who aren't participating, and it looks interesting, please click the link at the top of my blog, to see the full set of rules.  It may seem daunting at first, but, it's not as bad as you think.  I find that creative writing, or even incorporating some of your own stories to fit the topic is VERY therapeutic.  Feel free to share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment