Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day Remembrance

Happy Memorial Day to you all, especially our veterans and others who have served in various ways.  I truly appreciate you.  In appreciation of those I'm lucky enough to call friends, I'm toasting deployment coffee to you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zudFEvTj9H0

Each year on this day, I go out to the cemetery to visit my family plot.  My maternal grandfather never served in the military, but when the WWII draft was out, he was a newlywed to my grandmother with a young child who is my Godmother.  He was given the choice, with a young family between being drafted or to work full-time at a factory to help with the war effort.  He chose to work at the factory, thus giving him 3 full-time jobs total - 1) executive at Knight Barry Abstract Company (which his father-in-law owned)  2) factory war effort and 3) a devoted family man who swore to support his family.  He's really the best grandfather anyone could possibly ask for.


The rest of the family plot includes my great grandparents (my grandmother's parents who owned the title company at one time), my great grandmother's father, my cousin (who was the above-mentioned aunt's 3-week old daughter) and my 1st son.  My grandparents are to the left.


Not too far away is my former mother and father in law, my son's paternal grandparents, who called me their other daughter until they died, and I am forever grateful.  The Greenbay Packers kitchen magnet and money clip were placed there back in 2003 (my mother in law was an avid fan) and they are still there, to cheer on today.


While we're there, we pick 2 random graves to clean, where it's obvious that there aren't any family members available to do so.  1 is always a veteran, and then at least one more.  Today, we did 2 more.  One was for a woman who's grave was completely covered over, and almost didn't recognize it as someone's grave.  The other was for a girl who died just before her 6th birthday back in 1937, and I placed a pinwheel for her (as I do for the 2 babies in my own family).  It's a quirky tradition I started...

I’d like to remember some relatives who have served and are no longer with us, whether they passed during their service or served and returned to civilian life: Great Uncle Wally Patrick - US Army in WWII. 1st stepfather John Haggard Sr - US Marines in Vietnam. Uncle Norbert “Torp” Saliscente US Navy in WWII. Others whose service is still under research...

While honoring those who gave it their all, I'd also like to give special kudos for present veterans, particularly Soldwolf, an author, who I consider a good friend that I'm fortunate to have. I'd like you to check out his story, called Meeting the Parents. It's a Military Science Fiction novel in the making, with action going in a few good directions, featuring a love relationship between an American military guy and his special interest is from a planet called Talmal, and their journeys with the intergalactic protocols, learning each other's cultures, interplanetary militaries, and of course, the humor that comes with all aspects of life. Chapters 1 - 24 are featured or highlighted here in my last blog. The characters are endearing, and you want to read about the adventures yet root for these two to succeed in their missions, both professionally and personally.

Chapter 25 - Family Meeting almost sounds tense, with the news that has to be brought to important people. Even with the best blessings, it’s still intense, though the conversation might not be with who you’re suspecting.
Chapter 26 - Lake Chat should be something romantic and private, yet the action might surprise you in some ways. Not to worry! No one gets hurt!
Chapter 27 - Pudgy Pies & Dinner has me thinking how fun it was to introduce S’Mores to my Japanese relatives several years ago, and seriously, it sounds even MORE fun to introduce these things to alien species from other dimensions!
Chapter 28 - Short Trips is action packed, and if you thought nosy neighbors are pesky, think about being tailed by some of these other guys, and hope they’re not some sort of intergalactic spies!

No comments:

Post a Comment