Thursday, July 4, 2019

Independence & Foundation Day

Wishing all of my American friends a happy 4th of July, especially to those who are in the service, served, and veteran status!  Love you all!  I really do appreciate your service.


In this country, we like to celebrate our freedoms.  Whether it's to celebrate all of them or our favorite ones or right to party, as citizens of the U.S.A., we enjoy these things, and so we get festive in various ways.  Go for it.  Let's just not forget that our veterans went through a lot to defend these freedoms, including the right to party & be festive.  An author friend of mine, Soldwolf, is a Navy veteran who put in 22 years.



I don't always stand through the parade, but when floats like the Racine Navy Club or other Veteran groups come by, I abide by what I think is the proper action to stand as they go past.  I was thanked by the guy in front and felt connected.  It made me wonder if someday, Soldwolf will be a part of this club, and will he have the group read his story, Meeting the Parents?  Maybe - lol

Anyway, I am a natural American citizen but was born in Japan.  There, they celebrate Foundation Day, which happens to land on my very own birthday.  Because the country was never ruled by another entity, the celebrations and festivities are different.  It's more about being solid as a country and longevity.  Of course, there are parades, fireworks, and lots of food, just like here.  Just please, don't drink too much of that sake...



I decided to go take part in today's activities because this has taken on new meaning for myself.  I've never had a close relationship with either of my parents, as my father was estranged, and my mother is strained, to say the least.  I am in the process of packing up boxes to move into a house that will be all mine, and it's ironic that it was the inheritance from my estranged father that is helping to pay for the house I will be moving into...  What this means is, I will not be renting from the person with whom I have a stressed relationship with any longer.  The strains have taken an extensive toll, to which I will not divulge in a blog, but this move brings me several steps away to celebrate my own independence from those who can be considered toxic to me in more ways than this.

It is also helping to build my own foundation as well, literally AND figuratively.  While it will feel new, to cut out certain aspects of what drains me, it's still a lot of work.  After going to the parade, I went home, packed more boxes, and was glad to break again to go to a Low Country Boil for dinner, hosted by a dear friend who is kind of like a sister in certain ways.  It's kind of nice to be able to adopt & expand family, especially after having to shrink negative people out.



So, what is a Low Country Boil?  It is where various things get well seasoned boiled together in a humungous pot, and when done, dumped on a serving table.  I couldn't help but eat the corn on the cob.  While different people may use different things, this has 2 different types of mussels, shrimp, crab, sausage, potatoes, onions, and corn.  I've heard of these, but this was my 1st experience partaking, and I enjoyed it!  I even got to take leftovers home!



What is independence/foundation day w/o a good light & sound show?  But before we cut out, the next chapter of Soldwolf's story is Matters of House & Family (Ch 42) Huge decisions are being made, and while yes, it is directly regarding staff for the actual family, it's also tied into the fact that these are also military families with a lot of clout within the regime.  Ah, wouldn't it be nice if we could actually have our own staff?  But then again...  *sigh*  maybe I should be glad that isn't my problem.  Then to have to keep briefing everyone...  Stealth can be deadly, but it can also get a ton of intel.  Sh. Be very, very quiet...  Even though these are in a different direction, I relate personally, since I've had to make these types of decisions for matters concerning my house & family as well.



Please check his stuff out.  It's good reading.  Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment