Sunday, March 17, 2024

Blogophilia 38.15: Sheer Luck

Blogophilia Facebook group HERE

Blog topic parameters Right Here

Hard Bonus: Incorporate a song title by Dean Martin

Easy Bonus: Reference faeries

Crash Landing

This weather is crazy… We had temps in the 60s in February, it was 70 a couple of days ago, and today, it’s in the 30s and there’s flurries… Being that I’m pretty wimpy in cold weather, no, I don’t want to Let It Snow! The winter holidays are over… I’d rather have “Gold dust at my feet on the sunny side of the street

Life is nuts too. Faeries may be mythical creatures, but I really do have a Faerie God Mother. When I graduated from college & landed my 1st real job afterward (I was offered a paid position at a place I was volunteering), and needed a car because it was going to be graveyard shift, she let me have her old car for a really good price. Several years later, when my son was a toddler (not even 2 yet), he’d climb out of his crib but couldn’t get back in, she magically appears with a toddler bed… A few years later, when we were down to 1 vehicle & his dad was using the van for work purposes, she gave me the one she was going to trade in… But, since she always went through the credit union’s certified used car sales for the great interest rates & they were only going to give her $500, which would only lower the payments by less than a dollar a month, she decided she’d rather give it to someone who needed one than to do it that way, so I lucked out. Several years after that, we had an atrocious summer where 95 degrees was the “cool” day, our little window A/C took a dump… we were going to try to tough it out, but the heat wasn’t going to let up… Just as we were going to talk about getting help getting another one, she magically calls up & offers us one, because she’d gotten her central air fixed & didn’t want the window one sitting around taking up space. The winter right after that, she had one of those tiny electric snow shovels that she wasn’t interested in using (we only had hand shovels), and while it’s a pain to mess with the cord, we got this massive snow storm where everyone was locked in for 3-5 days, and it was nice to at least have that. Mind, there’s a bunch of other stories I could tell, but just know that time spent with her is a treasure, and there was no such thing as a short visit. I hope that I’ll be able to see her again, she’s not in town anymore. It just feels like time is never on our side, and because we don’t choose our families, it’s Sheer Luck that she is my aunt, who truly is my fairy godmother.

Happy St. Patty’s Day! May the luck of the Irish smile upon you with bright green gems & no, we will NOT be eating corned beef at my house (too salty & not my favorite).

No comments:

Post a Comment