Sunday, October 23, 2022

Blogophilia 17.14: Everything Pumpkin Spice

Ecrits Blogophilia Facebook group HERE

Blogophilia topic parameters Over Here

How Blogophilia works Right Here

Pumpkin Pie!

Hard Bonus: Use a line or quote by Henry David Thoreau
Easy Bonus: 
Include a “new girl”

Being more of a summer girl with spice for chili, it’s not easy being around Everything Pumpkin Spice… I do like the fall colors, just not the cooler weather. It was fun when I used to be a tour guide for one of the local pumpkin farms. The goats were cool, and when the kids would get their group picture by the great pumpkin, I’d have the kids, on a count of 3, say “pumpkin pie”! it made them look like they were laughing & having a good time. Funny Fact: people who love pumpkin pie think mine are the best, I don’t even really care for it much… No thank you for the pumpkin spice latte, I’ll stick to my double mocha, no whipped cream. At the bottom of my blog, I’ll share the recipe for the only way I actually LIKE having pumpkin.

I remember when I was the new girl at work… the guys who live there weren’t necessarily sure about me, but for some reason, I won them over. It’s a nonprofit, so the rules are a bit weird when it comes to business, there are more checks & balances in place to ensure a dictatorship doesn’t happen. It’s a way to keep corruption to a minimum, even though it sure happens. If I would have known back then what kind of person I work for, I probably wouldn’t have suggested it with DVR to get my internship there. But, I was offered permanency, so I took it. *sigh* It’s been 54 weeks… The 1st 12 weeks were paid through the vocational program, and I was hired permanently starting January 2, 2022. It’s been a roller coaster for sure, so if it weren’t for the tenacity I have while being the advocate I am, I definitely wouldn’t have lasted this long.

Due to all of the prior issues of trying to attain/maintain professional work which ended up fruitless or very short-lived, then with the various health issues I’ve had & since been diagnosed with, my husband & I agreed that this was the last stretch… If this wasn’t going to work out, forget it… I at least have my music. I gave the guy 100% benefit of the doubt, but as time goes on, I’m finding out stuff… if it didn’t really affect anybody, I would just leave it, but it affects other people, including me, yet it’s the other people who are affected the most, and… yikes… I swear life puts me where I’m needed, and sometimes I wish life needed someone else, not me. But I’m in an opportunity where I am able to take action to better impact other people, and the negative impacts would affect those who are depending on the place a lot worse than myself, and I’m in a position to be able to step up with minimal effect. So… it’s not just that I’m “fighting” for them, it’s also fighting for my own job, win or lose, through the proper channels, which can take a seriously long time. It’s times like this where I understand why people might commit crimes to remedy things, though some people aren’t in a position where they can do that either, since they have families to think of. This is my philosophy on it: Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. Henry David Thoreau

Harvest Loaf recipe:

  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup chopped nuts (split 1/2 & 1/4 cups)

Cream butter, sugar & eggs until very light. Add dry ingredients alternatively with pumpkin until fully blended. Stir in chocolate chips & 1/2 cup of nuts. Pour into a greased bread pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of nuts on top, and bake at 350 F for an hour.

Glaze:

  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 TBS milk

Blend well. When the loaves come out of the oven, drizzle it over to help keep the nuts on top. Let cool completely, serve & enjoy!

I normally double the recipe, so I can use the whole can of pumpkin & a whole bag of chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment