Sunday, October 16, 2022

Weekly Writing 31: Oktoberfest

Subtopic: Mention a dirndl and lederhosen

Blog topic parameters and how it works HERE

Weekly Writer’s group to follow Over Here

HELP!!!!

Oktoberfest is tied with 4th Fest as being my favorite to celebrate. It’s not just that it’s my favorite craft beer, but I also appreciate the craftiness of the season, where it’s more than the food & hanging out with people you like (during the summer), but it’s also about the deco & costumes, too.

People who know me know that I love to cook, and I can do seasonal gatherings from cookouts to fall & winter holidays to birthdays and more! During the fall, I like to take pie pumpkins, cut them, roast them, use the seeds for one snack, and use the “meat” of the pumpkin to do pie from scratch. I do my own apple pies, too. But I also love the spook part of Halloween, and yes, pumpkin puke is one of the things that make my day… Being that I’m also crafty, I’ve done a few things, anyway… My son was attending Fine Arts School for kindergarten & we were encouraged to make as much of the costume for our kids as possible. I’d made him a pirate one, where I made a multicolored pair of shorts and a vest from bandanas, all different colors. Another one for his head, and even his sword was cardboard that I cut out, wrapped foil around the “blade” and wrapped twine on the “handle”. The crazy thing is, they had a school parade, and I have no idea who did the judging, but the grand winner was an expensive store-bought costume, and those who won 1st, 2nd & 3rd had minimally homemade items, and then there were about 10 honorable mentions, and my son wasn’t one of them for his 75% homemade costume (his T-shirt, socks & shoes were from the store). Oh well.

My Halloween display

In my front yard, I have gnomes on both sides throughout the flower garden, and I have this. I’m hoping the critters will find the peanut butter & help “carve” the pumpkins into a spooky delight. I’ll be passing out stuff again this year, with choices. I have a case of apple juice cups, so they get 1 of those & a choice of 1. fun size candy 2. small bag of chips 3. another juice cup – I always enjoy seeing the kids dressed up, and when I see a parent who is also dressed up, I encourage them to get a treat as well. Staying youthful is cool

I wonder if my husband, being a musician, would dress up with me in a dirndl and him in a lederhosen and we could get those alphorns so we could put the treats in boxes, and sound off each time a treat gets taken? I don’t know, he’d never go for it, but… I think it would be funny.

This could be us…

No comments:

Post a Comment